Monday, May 31, 2010

And Now There Are Only Two

I wish I could report some better news but another one was lost last night despite efforts to save him. He was given fluids and checked by a vet but there was little hope and he died peacefully.

Right now my focus is on the remaining two and thankfully I have a job where they can come with me and be watched, fed and hydrated all day long. Gallifrey is making quite a rebound, he has his appetite back and is drinking his liquids and taking his meds and vitamins. Elliot is still not out of the woods and I worry about him. It takes a lot more effort to get him to eat more than a few bites but he is drinking a bit more so that can be a good sign.

Mom cat is getting better with me. She does not lunge at me when I approach her cage. the hissing and growling are getting rare and her fear and trembling seems to have calmed down. Originally she was to be a spay and release but we found out she is FELV positive which is why we are loosing kittens. They fade very quickly and their little bodies can not handle a virus. Since Mom is FELV positive we can not just let her go out and infect more cats so I am working with her, patience on both ends in hopes she will have a home to go to someday.

This litter of kittens has to be one of the hardest things I had to do. I have lost pets before as I have had many over my lifetime but never ones so young. It is not easy to see or get over but I will focus on the two remaning and try my hardest to keep them healthy. Here I sit with an arsenal of vitamins, medicine, Karo syrup, pumpkin, pedialyte and some of the smelliest canned kitten food ever. I won't give up if they don't.


Goodbye little Boe



.

No comments:

Post a Comment